Bydgoszcz Canal

ul. Nakielska
+48 52 3768 450

Thanks to joining the basins of the Vistula and Oder Rivers, the Bydgoszcz Canal lets Nakło connect with Bydgoszcz. The canal constitutes an important part of the E-70 water route. It was Frederick the Great, the Ruler of Prussia, who decided to start the construction of the Canal in 1773. As soon as in 1775, the canal was navigable throughout the whole section and through 10 locks. Today the Okole Lock is the start of the water route that can be taken on a water tram. Nevertheless, the cycling area along Canal is one of the most breath-taking routes in the city.

The Blue Blood of the City


The sentimental panorama of old locks. They were sprinkled with multicolored leaves in autumn and with snowflakes in winter. Maybe that's why we have forgotten about them so easily? Overwhelmed with the beauty and tranquility, in which we immersed so softly. As if we continued to go down the avenue of Starofarny cemetery. If this is the place of memories – let us ponder on life! The Canal tied together thousands of workers, builders, skippers, lock operators, restaurateurs, crowds seeking relaxation and fun in Bydgoszcz. Both the water route and the Stare Planty Park were honestly the objects of envy of other cities.The canal gave the people  work, entertainment and prosperity.


Bydgoszcz melancholy

Claire Dux , a famous German opera soprano singer, was a daughter of Bydgoszcz canal lock supervisor. She was born in 1885 in Witkowie and she lived Bydgoszcz until her 20s at 4 Grottgera Street.  She trained her voice under the tutelage of Bydgoszcz soprano teacher - Maria Schwadtke. She made her debut in 1906 in Cologne. Her career flourished on the stages of Milan, Berlin, London. In 1921 she moved to Chicago where he died in 1967. Her face was immortalized by Salvador Dali in his painting entitled ‘Melancholy. Portrait of Singer Claire Dux’. (1942)

High tide

The scenery of the Czyżkówko Lock served as the backdrop for the 15th episode of the famous Polish television series ‘Czterej pancerni i pies’ (‘Four Tank Commanders and a Dog’) that was filmed in 1968, "High tide" episode. The possibility of experiencing the film shooting was welcomed by the inhabitants of Bydgoszcz with great enthusiasm.